Old English Dictionary Exercise
The University of Illinois library has a link to the online Old English Dictionary (up to the letter G so far). The dictionary server is actually at the University of Toronto.
For this exercise:
2. type "Dictionary of Old English" in the search box
3. click on the dictionary link
4. at thus point you have to enter your u of i net id and pwd to continueL
5 Go to the Dictionary home page--it should look something like this:
6. Browse through the dictionary by clicking on one of the letters A - G
8. Read the dictionary entry and in a paragraph or two, compare the meaning of the word in Old English and Modern English. Has it broadened or narrowed? Shifted significantly? Disappeared entirely? If the word does not exist in Modern English, then discuss what, if anything, has replaced it; why it may have disappeared (did it suddenly become unnecessary?); and whether and how it might be revived. You may consult the OED (online, through the U of I Library site) as well to see what it has to say about your word.