Welcome to the Newly-Admitted Students portion of our website. We will try over the summer to answer frequently asked questions and keep you up to date on any new developments. In May you will receive a letter from us regarding orientation, your teaching assignment (if applicable), your advising conference, and other relevant information.
First to let you know the Fall 2018 schedule. A required Academic Orientation to Graduate Studies in English, Writing Studies, and Creative Writing, will be held on Friday, August 17. English and Writing Studies students will meet from 3:30-5:00 p.m. in room 104 English Building. Creative Writinig students will meet in room 107A of the English Building from 3:30-4:30 and then join the English and Writing Studies students in room 104 English Building at 4:30. The following week, our required, work-related Teaching Orientation will run from Monday, August 20 through Friday, August 24. Instruction begins on Monday, August 27.
Have personal concerns? Try the following websites:
- Student insurance: http://www.si.illinois.edu
- McKinley Health Center: http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/
- Vision care: http://www.grad.illinois.edu/current/vision.htm
- Housing: http://www.housing.illinois.edu/
Have questions about programs? Try the following websites:
- Graduate Student Handbook: http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/grad_handbook/index.html
- English Grad Student Association Website: http://www.english.illinois.edu/graduate/egsa
- Unit of Criticism and Interpretive Theory: http://criticism.english.illinois.edu
- Center for Writing Studies: http://cws.illinois.edu
- Writers’ Workshop: http://www.cws.illinois.edu/workshop
- Women’s Studies: http://www.gws.uiuc.edu
- Afro-American Studies: http://www.aasrp.uiuc.edu