Footnotes: The English Department Newsletter
Volume 61 | August 22, 2016 | Number 1
WELCOME NEW GRADUATE STUDENTS AND FACULTY!
What is Footnotes?
For those of you who are new to the department, Footnotes is the English Department’s weekly newsletter. Footnotes will contain important Graduate College deadlines, submission deadlines for call for papers, conference announcements, registration deadlines, faculty accomplishments and graduate student accomplishments (if permission form is turned in) as well as other valuable information.
To submit information for future editions, please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org put the flyer or brochure that contains the information in my mailbox. All information needs to be received by Thursday in order to be included in the following Monday’s edition.
FROM THE GRADUATE STUDIES OFFICE
- Graduate Studies Director – Eleanor Courtemanche
- Eleanor’s office hours are Monday 1:00-2:00 or by appointment
- Graduate students on fellowship for the Fall semester (8/16/16-12/15/16), will receive their last fellowship payment on 12/16/16.
Anyone wanting an updated picture should stop by 210 EB by September 12. These pictures will be posted in the glass case outside 208 EB.
- Dissertation Travel Grant – All materials needs to be submitted to Stephanie Shockey on September 7, 2016.
- Conference Travel Grant – All materials needs to be submitted to Stephanie Shockey on September 21, 2016.
Fall 2016 – Dates to Remember
- September 2: Last day for student to add a semester course without permission
- September 2: Deadline to submit forms to elect to audit a course forthesemester
- September 5: Labor Day (all-campus holiday)
- September 16: Last day to drop a first half-session course via Student Self-Service
- September 30: Last day to elect credit/no-credit option for a first half-session course or to change from credit/no-credit option to a regular grade
- October 14: Last day for student to drop a semester course on Student Self-Service
- October 17: Second half-session courses begin
- October 30: Last day for Grads to add themselves to December degree list via Student-Services
- October 31: Registration for spring begins. Start times vary. See you time ticket for your exact enrollment time at UI Integrate Self-Service
- November 4: Last day to add a second half-session course
- November 11: Last day to withdraw from the current term without a grade of W
- November 11: Last day to elect credit/no-credit option for a semester course or to change from credit/no-credit option to a regular grade
- November 11: Last day for student to drop a semester course without a grade of W (without approval)
- November 11: Last day to take final exam for December doctoral degree
- November 11: Last day for students to add themselves to Dec degree list via web UI Integrate Self- Service and for departments to add students who do not have access to UI Integrate Self-Service
- Nov 19 - 27: Fall vacation for students
- November 25: Thanksgiving Break (all campus holiday)
- November 28: Instruction resumes
- December 2: Last day to complete deposit of December doctoral dissertations
- December 2: Last day to elect credit/no-credit option for a second half-session course or to change from credit/no-credit option to a regular grade
- December 2: Last day to drop a second half-session course, without a grade of W (without approval)
- December 2: Last day to complete deposit of December doctoral dissertation
- December 7: Instruction ends
- December 8: Reading Day
- December 8: Last day to add or drop a second half-session course with approval (a W is recorded)
- December 8: Last day to add or drop a semester course with approval (a W is recorded)
- December 8:Last day to change a grade of DFR (in a non-thesis course) or I, awarded last spring or summer to prevent F by rule
- Dec 9 – 15: Final examination period
- December 16: Last date for receipt of completed petitions in the Graduate College for graduating students
- December 19: December degree conferral (no commencement)