English Alumni on Facebook
Connect with past and present members of the U of Illinois English department via Facebook.
Alumni Mentoring Network
The English Department Alumni Mentoring Network is an informal email mentoring program that brings together our majors in English, Creative Writing, and Teaching of English with alumni willing to help them learn more about possible careers. We provide a directory that lists contact information and a brief biography for each mentor; students who attend an initial orientation workshop are allowed to access the directory and email mentors of their choosing. It's a great way for alumni to stay connected with the department, and it's also an excellent resource for our current majors. The opportunity to communicate with people who are experiencing the real-world value of an English or creative writing degree is invaluable.
If you are a current undergraduate and you would like to begin taking advantage of these resources, you will need to meet briefly with an academic advisor in the English department (call 333-4346 to schedule an appointment) and sign an agreement that contains guidelines for appropriate use of the network.
If you are a graduate of the English department and would like to become a mentor, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you're interested. We'd be delighted to hear from you!
Read these testimonials from recent U of Illinois English grads.
Alumni Career PanelIn 2012 we were thrilled to welcome back six inspiring alumni to talk to our current students about the career paths they've followed since graduation:
- Sarah Brittin (B.A. '02), an editorial manager for School Achievement Services - Professional Development at Pearson, Inc.
- Abigail Fleming (B.A. '08), a civil litigation attorney at Fleming & Umland in Peoria and a board member of the Peoria Area Illini Club Alumni Organization
- Courey Gruszauskas (B.A. '06), a web content specialist at Morningstar, Inc.
- Dan Petrella (B.A. '06), a staff writer for The State Journal-Register in Springfield
- Ryan Ross (B.A. '08), an archivist and librarian for the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
- Amy Snyder (B.A. '10), a communications specialist for CU-MTD
If you are interested in participating in an alumni career event in the future, please contact us at email@example.com.