Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Fiction, Creative Nonfiction
- B.A. Barnard College, Columbia University (English/Creative Writng; summa cum laude)
- M.F.A. University of Iowa Writers' Workshop
Distinctions / Awards
- Bronze IPPY Medalist in Best Regional Fiction, Great Lakes, 2017 (After the Dam)
- Finalist Award in Creative Nonfiction’s “Human Face of Sustainability” Contest, 2014
- Illinois Arts Council Finalist Award in Prose, 2006
- 2003 Audio Book of the Year Award from ForeWord Magazine for Nina: Adolescence
- Publisher’s Weekly 2003 Listen Up! Award for Nina: Adolescence
- Teaching/Writing Fellow, Iowa Writers' Workshop, 2000 - 2001
- Illinois Arts Council IAS Professional Development Grant, 2013
- Introductory Narrative Writing
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- The Craft of Fiction
- Environmental Writing
- Fall 2018: Mondays, 1 - 3 p.m.
- After the Dam. Los Angeles: Red Hen Press, 2016.
- The Priest's Madonna. New York: G.P. Putnam & Sons, 2006.
- Nina: Adolescence. New York: G.P. Putnam & Sons, 2003.