Associate Professor of English, Theatre, and Medieval Studies
- Address: 317-C English
- Telephone: None
- Email: email@example.com
- Office hours 3:30-5:00 Wednesdays or by appointment; contact me via email to schedule
Ph.D., English literature, University of Virginia, 2007; M.A., English literature, Dalhousie University, 1998; B.A. Honours, Huron University College, 1997
Spring 2014: ENGL 209 BRIT LIT FROM 0-1800; ENGL 199 SHAKESPEARE & HIS AUDIENCES; FAA 110 EXPLORING ARTS AND CREATIVITY. Fall 2014: Graduate class MODERNISMS AND EARLY MODERNISMS: Brecht on Marlowe, Eliot on Middleton, Artaud on Ford
Shakespeare and early modern drama; theater history from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century; performance studies, especially theories of the performing body; and methods of original practices staging.
- Inventions of the Skin: The Painted Body in Early English Drama 1400-1642 . Edinburgh University Press, 2013.
- "'The Eunuch Much Sears Her Breast:' Remedying Adulteration in William Heminge’s The Fatal Contract." Thunder at a Playhouse: Essays on Shakespeare and the Early Modern Stage. Ed. Peter Kanelos and Matt Kozusko. Susquehanna Press, 2010. 212-33.
- "Drama as Performance and Text." A New Companion to English Renaissance Literature and Culture. Ed. Michael Hattaway. Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. 502-512.
- "Cosmetic Transformations." The Effects of Performance in the Theatres of Shakespeare and His Contemporaries. Ed. Farah Karim-Cooper and Tiffany Stern. Arden, 2013. 94-117.
- "Mastering Masques of Blackness." English Literary Renaissance 39 (2009): 396-426.
- "'Assisted by a Barber:’ The Court Apothecary, Special Effects, and Ben Jonson’s The Gypsies Metamorphosed." Theatre Notebook 61.1 (2007): 2-11.
- "Robertson Davies;" "Billy Bishop Goes to War;" "Princess Pocahontas and the Blue Spots." Columbia Encyclopedia of Modern Drama. Columbia UP, 2007.
- Rev. of Edward II at Navy Pier.Shakespeare Bulletin 27.1 (2009): 117-122.
- Rev. of Bob Komar's Measure for Measure.Shakespeare Bulletin 27.2 (2009): 261-265.
- Rev. of Emmanuel Moses's "Last News of Mr. Nobody: Selected Poems."Verse (French Poetry and Poetics issue) 24.1-3 (2007): 336-338.
- Rev. of Macbeth at Live Arts.Shakespeare Bulletin 24.2 (2006): 103-07.
- Rev. of The American Shakespeare Center 2007 Actors’ Renaissance Season and Summer Season.Shakespeare Bulletin 26.1 (2008): 181-186.
- Rev. of The Taming of the Shrew (new Induction by Neil Labute)Shakespeare Bulletin 28.4 (2010): 491-495.
Works in Progress
- *Caroline Metadrama: Insider Theatre in England, 1625-1642.* Book MS in progress.
- "University of Illinois, Early Twenty-First Century: An Aesthetics of Necessity.” Invited contribution to *Shakespeare on the University Stage* (CUP 2014)
- "Proverbs in Parts: Performing the Commonplace."
- Performance history of Edward II for Edward II: A Critical Reader (Arden)