Ph.D., English literature, University of Virginia; M.A., English literature, Dalhousie University; B.A. Honours, Huron University College
ENGL 117 Shakespeare on Film Fall 2017
Shakespeare and early modern drama; theater history from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century; performance studies, especially theories of the performing body; and methods of original practices staging.
Drama, Gender/Sexuality Studies, Seventeenth Century, Sixteenth Century
Work(s) in Progress
Edition of The Fatal Contract (1639) for Routledge Anthology of Renaissance Drama (2019); Caroline Metadrama: Insider Theatre in England, 1625-1642 (book MS); Shakespeare and the Performance of the Commonplace (book MS)
- Inventions of the Skin: The Painted Body in Early English Drama 1400-1642. Edinburgh University Press, 2013.
- "Yet I have a braver way than these’: A Performance History of Edward II." Edward II: A Critical Reader. Arden Early Modern Drama, 2017. 43-72.
- "Shakespeare Without Resources." Shakespeare on the College and University Stage. Cambridge University Press, 2015. 110-125.
- "Cosmetic Transformations." The Effects of Performance in the Theatres of Shakespeare and His Contemporaries. Ed. Farah Karim-Cooper and Tiffany Stern. Arden, 2013. 94-117.
- "'The Eunuch Much Sears Her Breast:' Remedying Adulteration in William Heminge’s The Fatal Contract." Thunder at a Playhouse: Essays on Shakespeare and the Early Modern Stage. Ed. Peter Kanelos and Matt Kozusko. Susquehanna Press, 2010. 212-33.
- "Drama as Performance and Text." A New Companion to English Renaissance Literature and Culture. Ed. Michael Hattaway. Wiley-Blackwell, 2010. 502-512.
- "Mastering Masques of Blackness." English Literary Renaissance 39 (2009): 396-426.
- "'Assisted by a Barber:’ The Court Apothecary, Special Effects, and Ben Jonson’s The Gypsies Metamorphosed." Theatre Notebook 61.1 (2007): 2-11.
- "‘The Spotting of Lady Conscience in the Three Ladies of London’." Performance as Research in Early English Theater Studies: The Three Ladies of London in Context. 15 Jun. 2015.
- "Robertson Davies;" "Billy Bishop Goes to War;" "Princess Pocahontas and the Blue Spots." Columbia Encyclopedia of Modern Drama. Columbia UP, 2007.
- Rev. of The Taming of the Shrew (new Induction by Neil Labute)Shakespeare Bulletin 28.4 (2010): 491-495.
- Rev. of Edward II at Navy PierShakespeare Bulletin 27.1 (2009): 117-122.
- Rev. of Bob Komar's Measure for MeasureShakespeare Bulletin 27.2 (2009): 261-265.
- Rev. of The American Shakespeare Center 2007 Actors’ Renaissance Season and Summer SeasonShakespeare Bulletin 26.1 (2008): 181-186.
- Rev. of Emmanuel Moses's "Last News of Mr. Nobody: Selected Poems"Verse (French Poetry and Poetics issue) 24.1-3 (2007): 336-338.
- Rev. of Macbeth at Live ArtsShakespeare Bulletin 24.2 (2006): 103-07.