Associate Professor of English and Media and Cinema Studies
- Address: 262 English
- Telephone: 217-333-3086
- Email: email@example.com
PhD (English and Film Studies) University of Pittsburgh, 2005
Graduate: "The Phenomenology of Information" (2006), "Theories of Cinema" (2010. , Select Undergraduate Courses: Postcolonial Fiction and Film (2006), The Global Western (2007), Survey of World Cinema: Sound Era (2008), Critical Approaches to Literature (2009-10).
Film/Visual Culture, Post-Colonial, Science, Technology, and Digital Media, Theory & Criticism.
- Figurations in Indian Film. Ed. Anustup Basu and Meheli Sen. London: Palgrave Macmillan (forthcoming), 2011.
- Bollywood in the Age of New Media: The Geo-televisual Aesthetic. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2010.
- "“The Music of Intolerable Love: Political Conjugality and Dil Se.” ." Global Bollywood: Travels of Hindi Song and Dance. Ed. Sangita Gopal. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2008. 153-178.
- "The Eternal Return and Overcoming ‘Cape Fear’: Science, Sensation, Superman, and Hindu Nationalism in Recent Hindi Cinema." South Asian History and Culture (forthcoming) (2011):
- "The Indian Monotheism." boundary 2 (forthcoming) (2011):
- "Encounters in the City: Cops, Criminals, and Human Rights in Hindi Film." Journal of Human Rights 9.II (2010): 175-190.
- "Hindutva and Informatic Modernization." boundary 2 35.3 (2008): 239-50.
- "Mantras of the Metropole: Digital Inscription and Mythic Curvatures of Profane Time." Postscript 25.3 (2006): 65-78.
- "Nayak O Yug Badoler Kabyo: Bharatiyo Challochitro O Bishwayan [Bengali – “Nayak and the Epic of Changing Times: Indian Cinema and Globalization”] ." Ababhaas 5.3 (2005): 216-33.
- "Bombs and Bytes: Sovereign Power and Global Information Flows.." Mute 27.1 (2004): 64-71.
- "The Human and His Spectacular Autumn, or, Informatics After Philosophy." PostModern Culture 14.3 (2004): 24 Oct. 2004. <http://www.iath.virginia.edu/pmc/current.issue/14.3basu.html>.
- "State of Security and Warfare of Demons." Critical Quarterly 45.1-2 (2003): 11-32.
Special Issues of a Journal
- Basu, Anustup, Rajinder Dudrah, Sangita Gopal, and Amit Rai. New Media Ecologies. Spec. iss. of South Asian Popular Culture 8.II (2010):
- Rev. of Apu and After: Re-Visitng Ray’s Cinema, (London: Seagull, 2006)Guild’s Quarterly 12.5 (2007): 58-65.
- "“McMilitarism to Go” ." Rev. of Afflicted Powers: Capital and Spectacle in a New Age of War , Retort (Iain Boal, T. J. Clark, Joseph Matthews & Michael Watts), Verso, 2005Mute (2006): 17 Apr. 2006. <http://www.metamute.org/en/mcmilitarism-to-go>.
- Rev. of Marxism, Modernity and Postcolonial Studies, ed. Crystal Bartolovich . Review of Radical Political Economics 37.2 (2005): 240-243.
Works in Progress
- “The Face that Launched a Thousand Ships: Helen and the Geo-televisual Aesthetic of Hindi Film.” Journal article in progress.
- The Phenomenology of Information. Book Manuscript in progress, 2011.