Director Emeritus Campus Honors Program, Professor Emeritus of English
- Address: 208 English Building<br />MC-718<br />608 S. Wright Street<br />Urbana, IL 61801<br />
- Telephone: 217-244-0922
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Twain Past and Present includes chapters on autobiography and the crisis of memory;on excursion, tourism, and the Realist demeanor; on how Clemens came to be regarded as a 'literary artist,' and on cultural after-images of Huckleberry Finn. In the summer of 2014 I will complete work as Fulbright Professor of American Literature at the University of Antwerp; in the fall I will teach a capstone course for the UI Campus Honors Program, 'College and the American Self.' Current projects include Mark Twain Past and Present, and a new English edition of selected essays by Clemenceau.
- Claude Monet: The Water-Lilies, and Other Writings on Art. Urbana, IL: Windsor and Downs, 2017.
- Teaching with the Norton Anthology of American Literature: A Guide for Instructors. WW Norton, 2007.
- Michelson, Bruce. Printer's Devil: Mark Twain and the American Publishing Revolution . University of California Press, 2006.
- Michelson, Bruce F. Literary Wit. University of Massachusetts Press , 2000.
- Michelson, Bruce F. Mark Twain on the Loose: A Comic Writer and the American Self. University of Massachusetts Press , 1995.
- Michelson, Bruce. Wilbur's Poetry. University of Massachusetts Press , 1991.
- "The Mind-Sciences in the Humanities Classroom." he Neuroscientific Turn: Transdisciplinarity in the Age of the Brain. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2013.
- "Mark Twain’s Mysterious Strangers and the Motions of the Mind." Centenary Reflections on Mark Twain’s No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2009.
- "The Year's Work in American Humor Studies, 2013." Studies in American Humor 41.1 (2015): 41-105.
- "Comic Dimensions, Low Theory, High Stakes." Studies in American Humor (2014): 35-43.
Works in Progress
- Mark Twain Past and Present; Clemenceau on Monet and the Arts (translator)