Emeritus Professor of English
Gender/Sexuality Studies, American, later, Modern British, Poetry, Theory & Criticism
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- modern poetry, critical theory, the politics of higher education
- B.A. Antioch College; PhD University of Rochester
- Recommended Principles to Guide Academy-Industry Relationships. Washington, DC: American Association of University Professors, 2014.
- No University is an Island: Saving Academic Freedom. New York: New York U Press, 2010.
- Office Hours: Activism and Change in the Academy. New York: Routledge, 2004.
- Revolutionary Memory: Recovering the Poetry of the American Left. New York: Routledge, 2001.
- Academic Keywords: A Devil's Dictionary for Higher Education. New York: Routledge, 1999.
- Manifesto of a Tenured Radical. New York: New York U Press, 1997.
- Repression and Recovery: Modern American Poetry and the Politics of Cultural Memory, 1910-1945. Madison: U of Wisconsin Press, 1989.
- Nelson, Cary . Our Last First Poets: Vision and History in Contemporary American Poetry. Urbana: U of Illinois Press, 1981.
- Anthology of Modern and Contemporary American Poetry. New York: Oxford U Press, 2014.
- The Oxford Companion to Modern and Contemporary American Poetry. New York: Oxford U Press, 2012.
- Cary Nelson and the Struggle for the University: Poetry, Politics, and the Profession, EDITED BY MICHAEL ROTHBERG AND PETER GARRETT. Albany: State U of New York Press, 2009.
- Wicked Times: Selected Poems by Aaron Kramer. Urbana: U of Illinois Press, 2004.
- The Wound and the Dream: Sixty Years of American Poetry About the Spanish Civil War. Urbana: U of Illinois Press, 2002.
- Will Teach for Food: Academic Labor in Crisis. Minneapolis: U of Minnesota Press, 1997.
- Madrid 1937: Letters of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade from the Spanish Civil War. New York: Routledge, 1996.
- The Collected Poems of Edwin Rolfe. Urbana: U of Illinois Press, 1993.
- Cultural Studies. New York: Routledge, 1992.
- Marxism and the Interpretation of Culture. Urbana: U of Illinois Press, 1988.