Gender/Sexuality Studies, American, later, Theory & Criticism, Women's Literature
Since 2004, Dale M. Bauer has been a Professor of English atthe University of Illinois, Miami U of Ohio, College of the Holy Cross, andFranklin& Marshall College. In addition to writing on feminist and critical pedagogy, she has also published Feminist Dialogics, Edith Wharton’s Brave New Politics, and edited collections on Bakhtin and feminism, Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s “The Yellow Wall-paper,” and 19th-century American women’s writing. Her new book, Sex Expression and American Women’s Writing, was published by the University of North Carolina Press in May 2009. This is a study of American women’s writing about sexuality, from 1860 to 1940, with sentimental fictions like The Morgesons and The Silent Partner to the huge bestsellers byJewish-American writer Fannie Hurst. This new rhetoric of sexuality enables critical conversations about who had sex, when in life they had it, and how it signified.
She is now studying the 50+ novels of the 19th-century writer EDEN Southworth (essay forthcoming in Arizona Quarterly), as well as editing the Cambridge History of American Women’s Literature (forthcoming Spring 2012).
- Sex Expression and American Women Writers. Chapel Hill: U North Carolina Press, 2009.
- Edith Wharton's Brave New Politics. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1994.
- Feminist Dialogics. Albany: SUNY Press, 1988.
- "Brain Surgery and Teaching English." Turning Points and Transformations. Ed. Christine DeVine and Marie Hendry. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011. 155-62.
- Cambridge History of American Women’s Literature. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Bauer, Dale, and Philip Gould. Cambridge Companion to Nineteenth-Century American Women's Writing. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Gilman, Charlotte P. New Cultural Edition of "The Yellow Wallpaper" . Boston: Bedford Books, 1998.
- Bauer, Dale, and Susan J. McKinstry. Feminism, Bakhtin, and the Dialogic. Albany: SUNY Press, 1992.
- "Seriality and Ann Stephens." J19 (2013): 28-35.
- "Why Read Southworth?." Arizona Quarterly (2013): 1-22.
- "The Oprah Shows I Would Like to See." Women & Performance 18.1 (2008): 43-50.
- "Forging a Pedagogical Community." Pedagogy 8.1 (2008): 179-93.
- "Another F Word: Failure in the Classroom." Pedagogy 7.2 (2007): 157-70.
- "The Shape of Baym’s Career." ALH 17.4 (2005): 646-52.
Special Issues of a Journal
- Bauer, Dale, and Kelly Oliver. Feminism and Language. Spec. iss. of Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy (1992):