Associate Professor of English
- Address: 264 English
- Telephone: 217-244-8702
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD (Comparative Literature): Cornell 1998. BA: Yale 1990.
Victorian literature and culture; histories of economics, technology, and design; narrative theory; popular culture; urbanism and steampunk.
Grad Courses: "The Industrial Novel and the Rise of Cultural Studies (2006), "Sexuality and Empire in the Fin de Siècle" (2009), "Victorian Socialisms" (2011), "Machine Dreams: Victorian Utopias" (2012). Selected Undergrad Courses: "Dickens and the Victorian City," "Pulp Fictions of the 1890s," "Tales of Economic Disaster."
Economic and political approaches to Victorian fiction; history of economic theory in Europe and America; socialism and anarchism; history of urban planning; narrative theory; irony and comedy. Currently serving as Victorian Book Reviews Editor of the online journal Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net, or RaVoN (ravonjournal.org and ravon.erudit.org/?lang=en). Affiliate of the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory and the Program in Comparative and World Literature. Blog posts are cross-posted at arcade.stanford.edu.
- The 'Invisible Hand' and British Fiction, 1818-1860: Adam Smith, Political Economy, and the Genre of Realism. . Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- "Unintended Consequences and the Epistemology of Fraud from Dickens to Hayek." Debt: Ethics, the Environment, and the Economy. Ed. Peter Paik and Merry Wiesner-Hanks. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2013. 164-76.
- "Invisible Hands and Visionary Narrators: Why the Free Market is Like a Novel." Metaphors of Economy. Ed. Nicole Bracker and Stefan Herbrechter. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2005. 69-78.
- "Marx, Heine, and German Cosmopolitanism: The 1844 'Deutsche-Französische Jahrbücher'." Telos 159 (2012): 49-63.
- "'Naked Truth is the Best Eloquence': Martineau, Dickens, and the Moral Science of Realism." ELH 73.2 (2006): 383-407.
- "Bread, Roses, and Reason: Or, Can Victorian Cultural Criticism Reform Political Economy?." Nineteenth Century Studies 16 (2002): 115-25.
- "Kafka and the Mirror of Instrumental Reason." Journal of the Kafka Society of America 19.1-2 (1995): 16-24.
- "Mad World on Kritik: Mad Men Season 6.9 "Margins, Regressions, and Betty’s Little Smile"." Kritik. 27 May 2013. 24 Jul. 2013.
- "Mad World on Kritik: Mad Men Season 5.5 “Furtive Realism and a Sock in the Jaw” ." Kritik. 16 Apr. 2012. 24 Jul. 2013.
- "Forum on World Literature (III): The Institution of Comparative Literature--in Theory and After it." Kritik. 19 Feb. 2008. 24 Jul. 2013.
- Rev. of Individualism, Decadence, and Globalization: On the Relation of Part to Whole, 1859-1920.RaVoN (Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net) (2011):
- Rev. of Reforming Philosophy: A Victorian Debate on Science and Society. Nineteenth Century Contexts 31.1 (2009): 81-83.
- Rev. of Victorian Writing About Risk: Imagining a Safe England in a Dangerous World. Nineteenth Century Literature 56.2 (2001): 265-268.
Works in Progress
- Book Project: "Fragile Capitalism." Article on Fabian socialism and the strategy of permeation. Article on satire and didacticism in utopian fiction.