Eighteenth Century, Romantic, Women's Literature, Fiction, Gender/Sexuality Studies, Theory & Criticism
Work(s) in Progress
"Contract and Character: Education and the Enlightenment Origins of Liberalism" (book-in-progress), "Locke and Rousseau on Educating for Freedom" (invited by the editors of The Lockean Mind, Routledge Philosophical Mind Series), review of Jean-Jacques Rousseau and British Romanticism
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Eighteenth-Century Literature and Political Philosophy (esp. Locke, Rousseau, Kant, the Scottish Enlightenment); Eighteenth-Century Women's Writing; History of the Novel; Critical Theory
- Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University; M.Phil., University of Cambridge; A.B. Bryn Mawr College
- Graduate courses include "Enlightenment Narratives of Education," "Women's Friendship in Eighteenth-Century Literature and Culture," "Rousseau, Feminism, and Romanticism," "George Eliot and the Contours of Realism," Modern Critical Theory
- Enlightened Sentiments: Judgment and Autonomy in the Age of Sensibility. New York: Fordham University Press, 2012.
- "The Eyes of Others: Rousseau and Adam Smith on Judgment and Autonomy." Thomas Pfau and Vivasvan Soni, eds. Judgment and Action: Fragments Towards a History. Chicago: Northwestern University Press, 2017.
- "The Continental Eliot." A Companion to George Eliot. Ed. Amanda Anderson and Harry E. Shaw. Oxford: Blackwell, 2013. 413-27.
- "Locke, Education, and Disciplinary Liberalism." The Review of Politics. 79.2 (2017): 215-38.
- "Judging Clarissa's Heart." ELH 79 (2012): 85-109.
- "Facing Ethics: Narrative and Recognition from George Eliot to Judith Butler." Nineteenth-Century Contexts 33.5 (2011): 437-50.
- "The Imagination Goes Visiting: Jane Austen, Judgment, and the Social." Nineteenth-Century Literature 59.2 (2004): 145-78.
- "Philosophy in the Bedroom: Middlemarch and the Scandal of Sympathy." The Yale Journal of Criticism 15.2 (2002): 293-314.
- Rev. of The Empire of Habit: John Locke, Discipline, and the Origins of Liberalism.The Review of Politics (2017):
- Rev. of Richardson and the Philosophes. French Studies 69.2 (2015):
- Rev. of Austen's Oughts: Judgment After Locke and Shaftesbury. Eighteenth-Century Fiction 26.2 (2014): 316-18.
- "Friendship, Philosophy, and Argument: An Enlightenment Narrative." Rev. of The Philosophers' Quarrel: Rousseau, Hume, and the Limits of Human UnderstandingThe Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation 54.4 (2013): 571-75.
- Rev. of Cultivating Victorians: Liberal Culture and the Aesthetic. Modern Philology 103.4 (2006): 571-75.