Ph.D. (English Literature), Johns Hopkins University, 2004; M.Phil. University of Cambridge; A.B. Bryn Mawr College
Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century British literature; history and theory of the novel; Enlightenment thought; critical theory
Graduate Courses: Enlightenment Narratives of Education, Novel Aesthetics, George Eliot and the Contours of Realism, Modern Critical Theory
British literature and culture of the long eighteenth century; Enlightenment political and moral theory (especially Locke, the Scottish Enlightenment, Rousseau, and Kant); the philosophy of education; Hannah Arendt and critical social theory; George Eliot; feminist theory
Eighteenth Century, Fiction, Romantic, Theory & Criticism, Feminist/Gender Theory, Victorian
Work(s) in Progress
Educating for Freedom: Enlightenment Narratives of Autonomy, Gender, and Social Influence, Hannah Arendt's Enlightenments: Engaging Eighteenth-Century Thought and Its Critics (coedited collection)
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Eighteenth-Century Literature and Culture; Enlightenment Moral and Political Theory; the British novel; feminist theory; critical theory
- Enlightenment Narratives of Education
- George Eliot and the Contours of Realism
- Modern Critical Theory
- Novel Aesthetics
- Mondays 1-3, and by appointment
- Enlightened Sentiments: Judgment and Autonomy in the Age of Sensibility. . New York: Fordham University Press, 2012.
- ""The Eyes of Others: Rousseau and Adam Smith on Judgment and Autonomy"." Thomas Pfau and Vivasvan Soni, eds. Judgment and Action: New Interdisciplinary Essays. . forthcoming: Northwestern University Press, 2017.
- "The Continental Eliot." A Companion to George Eliot. . Ed. Amanda Anderson and Harry E. Shaw. Oxford: Blackwell, 2013. 413-27.
- "Locke, Education, and Disciplinary Liberalism." The Review of Politics. (forthcoming).Spring (2017):
- "Judging Clarissa's Heart." ELH 79 (2012): 85-109.
- "Facing Ethics: Narrative and Recognition from George Eliot to Judith Butler." Nineteenth-Century Contexts 33.5 (2011): 437-50.
- "The Imagination Goes Visiting: Jane Austen, Judgment, and the Social." Nineteenth-Century Literature 59.2 (2004): 145-78.
- "Philosophy in the Bedroom: Middlemarch and the Scandal of Sympathy." The Yale Journal of Criticism 15.2 (2002): 293-314.
- Rev. of Richardson and the Philosophes. French Studies 69.2 (2015):
- Rev. of Austen's Oughts: Judgment After Locke and Shaftesbury. Eighteenth-Century Fiction 26.2 (2014): 316-18.
- "Friendship, Philosophy, and Argument: An Enlightenment Narrative." Rev. of The Philosophers' Quarrel: Rousseau, Hume, and the Limits of Human UnderstandingThe Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation 54.4 (2013): 571-75.
- Rev. of Cultivating Victorians: Liberal Culture and the Aesthetic. Modern Philology 103.4 (2006): 571-75.