American, early, Fiction, American, later
- What America Read: Taste, Class, and the Novel, 1920-1960. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2009.
- American Literature, American Culture. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Secrets and Sympathy: Forms of Disclosure in Hawthorne's Novels. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1988.
- The Selected Writings of Theodore Roosevelt. New York: Random House, 2014.
- Hutner, Gordon, and Larry Reynolds. National Imaginaries, American Identities. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2000.
- Immigrant Voices: 24 Narratives on Becoming an American. N: Signet, 1999.
- The American Literary History Reader: 5 Years of ALH. New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.