Jodi A. Byrd
Associate Professor of English, American Indian Studies, and Gender and Women's Studies
- Address: 102D English
- Telephone: 217-265-9870
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD English, University of Iowa, 2002
Indigenous studies, indigenous and postcolonial literatures, cultural studies, film, theory
ENGL 265: Intro to American Indian Literature; ENGL 285: Postcolonial Literature; ENGL 301: Critical Approaches to Literature; ENGL 460: Literatures of Indigenous Peoples; ENGL 581: Indigenous Critical Theory; AIS 101: Introduction to American Indian Studies; AIS 199: American Indians in Film; AIS 430: Indigenous Governance; AIS 591: Problems in Indigenous Studies
Indigenous studies and governance, indigenous and postcolonial literatures, cultural studies, film, theory
- The Transit of Empire: Indigenous Critiques of Colonialism. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 2011.
- Jacobs, Don T. "(Post)Colonial Plainsongs: Toward Native Literary Worldings." Unlearning the Language of Conquest. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2006. 82-92.
- "The Stories We Tell: American Indian Women's Writing and the Persistence of Tradition." The Cambridge History of American Women's Literature. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. 11–29.
- "Waikiki Wedding." Seeing Red--Hollywood's Pixeled Skins. Ed. LeAnne Howe, Harvey Markowitz, and Denise K. Cummings. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press, 2013. 167–171.
- Byrd, Jodi A. ""Living My Native Life Deadly:" Red Lake, Ward Churchill, and the Discourses of Competing Genocides." American Indian Quarterly 31.2 (2007): 310-332.
- Byrd, Jodi A., and Katarina Heyer. "Introduction: International Discourses of Indigenous Rights and Responsibilities." Alternatives: Global, Local, Political 33.1 (2008): 1-5.
- Byrd, Jodi A. ""In the City of Blinding Lights:" Cultural Studies, Indigeneity, and the Affect of Colonialist Nostalgia." Cultural Studies Review 15.2 (2009): 13-28.
- ""Been to the Nation, Lord, But I Couldn't Stay There": American Indian Sovereignty and the Incommensurability of the Internal." Interventions 13.1 (2011): 31–52.
- "Follow the Typical Signs: Settler Sovereignty and its Discontents." Settler Colonial Studies 4.2 (2013): 1–4.
- "Arriving on a Different Shore: US Empire at Its Horizons." College Literature 41.1 (2014): 174–181.
- Byrd, Jodi A. "Beautiful Betrayals and Affective Resistances: A Review of Recent Scholarship Towards Global Liberation." Rev. of Affective Communities; Aloha Betrayed; Bush in Babylon; Contesting Empire, Globalizing Dissent; Empire, The National and Postcolonial 1890-1920, Journal of Commonwealth and Postcolonial Studies 13.1 (2006): 86-95.