Jodi A. Byrd
Associate Professor of English and American Indian Studies
- Address: 102D English
- Telephone: 217-265-9870
- Email: email@example.com
PhD English, University of Iowa, 2002
Indigenous studies, indigenous and postcolonial literatures, cultural studies, film, theory
ENGL 265: Intro to American Indian Literature; ENGL 285: Postcolonial Literature; ENGL 301: Critical Approaches to Literature; ENGL 460: Literatures of Indigenous Peoples; ENGL 581: Indigenous Critical Theory; AIS 101: Introduction to American Indian Studies; AIS 199: American Indians in Film; AIS 430: Indigenous Governance; AIS 591: Problems in Indigenous Studies
Indigenous studies and governance, indigenous and postcolonial literatures, cultural studies, film, theory
- Jacobs, Don T. "(Post)Colonial Plainsongs: Toward Native Literary Worldings." Unlearning the Language of Conquest. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2006. 82-92.
- Byrd, Jodi A. ""Living My Native Life Deadly:" Red Lake, Ward Churchill, and the Discourses of Competing Genocides." American Indian Quarterly 31.2 (2007): 310-332.
- Byrd, Jodi A., and Katarina Heyer. "Introduction: International Discourses of Indigenous Rights and Responsibilities." Alternatives: Global, Local, Political 33.1 (2008): 1-5.
- Byrd, Jodi A. ""In the City of Blinding Lights:" Cultural Studies, Indigeneity, and the Affect of Colonialist Nostalgia." Cultural Studies Review 15.2 (2009): 13-28.
- Byrd, Jodi A. "Beautiful Betrayals and Affective Resistances: A Review of Recent Scholarship Towards Global Liberation." Rev. of Affective Communities; Aloha Betrayed; Bush in Babylon; Contesting Empire, Globalizing Dissent; Empire, The National and Postcolonial 1890-1920, Journal of Commonwealth and Postcolonial Studies 13.1 (2006): 86-95.
Works in Progress
- The Transit of Empire: Indigeneity, Postcolonial Theory, and the Cacophonies of Resistance (book project)
- "'Been to the Nation, But I Couldn't Stay There:' American Indian Sovereignty, Cherokee Freedmen, and the Incommensurability of the Internal" (journal article)