Dr. Jose B. Capino
Associate Professor of English, Gender and Women's Studies, Media and Cinema Studies, Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies, and Asian American Studies
- Address: English Bldg, 608 S. Wright St., M/C 718, Urbana, IL 61801
- Email: email@example.com
Ph.D. in Radio/Television/Film, Northwestern University
Film/Visual Culture, Post-colonial, Theory & Criticism, Gender/Sexuality Studies
Film Historiography, American Independent Cinema, Introduction to Film, Documentary Film and Video, Survey of International Cinema I, Spike Lee, Proseminar in the Teaching of Film
US nonfiction cinema, National and Transnational cinema, Philippine cinema, Postcolonial Criticism, Gender & Sexuality Studies, Post-Colonial Criticism, Theory and Criticism, Gender/Sexuality Studies
- Dream Factories of a Former Colony: American Fantasies, Philippine Cinema. Minneapolis and London: University of Minnesota Press, 2010.
- "Cinema and the Usable Past." American Cinema of the 1990s. Ed. Chris Holmlund. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2008. 180-202.
- "Philippines: Cinema and its Hybridity (or You’re Nothing but a Second-Rate, Trying Hard Copycat)." Contemporary Asian Cinema: Popular Culture in a Global Frame. Ed. Anne Ciecko. Oxford: Berg, 2006. 32-44.
- "Asian College Girls and Oriental Men with Bamboo Poles: Reading Asian Pornography." Pornography and Culture. Ed. Peter Lehman. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2006. 206-219.
- "Soothsayers, Politicians, Lesbian Scribes: The Philippine Movie Talk Show." Planet TV: A Global Television Studies Reader . New York: New York University Press, 2002.
- "Wakefield Poole, Independent Cinema & The American Avant-Garde." Contemporary American Independent Cinema from the Margins to the Mainstream. Ed. Chris Holmlund and Justin Wyatt. New York: Routledge, 2004. 155-173.
- "The Damned: Lino Brocka’s Infernal Melodrama, 'Insiang.'." Film Comment 42.5 (2006): 12-14.
- "Seizing Moving Image Pornography." Cinema Journal 46.4 (2007): 121-126.
- "Learning from Darna, Dyesebel, Barbi, and Vampira: Notes on the Hybridity of Philippine National Cinema." Ideya 7.1 (2005): 45-58.
- "Filthy Funnies: Notes on the Body in Animated Pornography." Animation Journal 12 (2004): 53-72.
- "Homologies of Text, Space and Spectatorship in All-Male Adult Theaters." Cinema Journal 45.1 (2005): 50-65.
- "Prosthetic Hysteria: Staging the Cold War in Filipino/American Docudrama." Plaridel: A Journal of Philippine Communication, Media and Society 1.1 (2004): 1-14.
- "Lino Brocka." Exhibition catalogue of the 23rd Torino International Film Festival. Torino: Museo Nazionale Del Cinema, 2006. 206-211.
Works in Progress
- "Projecting Empire: American Documentary Cinema in Colonial and Postcolonial Philippines" (book manuscript under revision)