Dr. Jose B. Capino
Associate Professor of English, Gender and Women's Studies, Media and Cinema Studies, Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies, and Asian American Studies
- Address: English Bldg, 608 S. Wright St., M/C 718, Urbana, IL 61801
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D. in Radio/Television/Film, Northwestern University, M.A. in Radio/Television/Film (Film Production), Northwestern University
Film/Visual Culture, Post-colonial, Theory & Criticism, Gender/Sexuality Studies
Documentary Film and Video, American Documentary, Film Historiography,Cultures of U.S. Imperialism, American Independent Cinema,Survey of International Cinema I, Spike Lee, Martin Scorsese, Introduction to Film, Proseminar in the Teaching of Film
Documentary Film and Video, National and Transnational cinema, Postcolonial Criticism, Gender & Sexuality Studies, American Independent Cinema, Post-Colonial Criticism, Theory and Criticism, Gender/Sexuality Studies
- Dream Factories of a Former Colony: American Fantasies, Philippine Cinema. Minneapolis and London: University of Minnesota Press, 2010.
- "Soothsayers, Politicians, Lesbian Scribes: The Philippine Movie Talk Show." Planet TV: A Global Television Studies Reader. Ed. Lisa Parks and Shanti Kumar. New York: New York University Press, 2002. 262-274.
- "Wakefield Poole, Independent Cinema & The American Avant-Garde." Contemporary American Independent Cinema from the Margins to the Mainstream. Ed. Chris Holmlund and Justin Wyatt. New York: Routledge, 2004. 155-173.
- "Asian College Girls and Oriental Men with Bamboo Poles: Reading Asian Pornography." Pornography and Culture. Ed. Peter Lehman. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2006. 206-219.
- "Philippines: Cinema and its Hybridity (or You’re Nothing but a Second-Rate, Trying Hard Copycat)." Contemporary Asian Cinema: Popular Culture in a Global Frame. Ed. Anne Ciecko. Oxford: Berg, 2006. 32-44.
- "Cinema and the Usable Past." American Cinema of the 1990s. Ed. Chris Holmlund. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2008. 180-202.
- "Domestic Helper." Figures of Southeast Asian Modernity. Ed. Joshua Barker, Erik Harris, and Johan Lindquist. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 2014. 23-25.
- "Figures of Empire: American Documentaries in the Philippines." The Colonial Documentary Film in South and South-East Asia. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2016. 79-104.
- "Filthy Funnies: Notes on the Body in Animated Pornography." Animation Journal 12 (2004): 53-72.
- "Prosthetic Hysteria: Staging the Cold War in Filipino/American Docudrama." Plaridel: A Journal of Philippine Communication, Media and Society 1.1 (2004): 1-14.
- "Homologies of Text, Space and Spectatorship in All-Male Adult Theaters." Cinema Journal 45.1 (2005): 50-65.
- "Learning from Darna, Dyesebel, Barbi, and Vampira: Notes on the Hybridity of Philippine National Cinema." Ideya 7.1 (2005): 45-58.
- "The Damned: Lino Brocka’s Infernal Melodrama, 'Insiang'." Film Comment 42.5 (2006): 12-14.
- "Seizing Moving Image Pornography." Cinema Journal 46.4 (2007): 121-126.
- "Lino Brocka." Exhibition catalogue of the 23rd Torino International Film Festival. Torino: Museo Nazionale Del Cinema, 2006. 206-211.
- "Manila: in the Claws of Neon/Maynila: Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag." Routledge Encyclopedia of Films. Abingdon, OX: Routledge, 2014.
Works in Progress
- "Projections of Empire: American Documentary and United States Imperialism" (book manuscript under revision)
- "Martial Law Melodrama: Lino Brocka and the Cinema of Authoritarianism" (book manuscript in progress)