Professor and Artist LeAnne Howe
Professor of English and American Indian Studies
- Address: 261 English
- Telephone: 217-333-4135
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
MFA, Vermont College, 2000
Fiction, CNF, American Indian Literature[s], Native Theater[s], Native Film Studies. Filmmaking and production, Expressive Cultures
WRITING WORKSHOP IN FICTION 504, THE CRAFT OF FICTION 501, WRITING TUTORIAL 455: EXPOSITORY, POETRY OR NARRATIVE, CREATIVE WRITING 404: ADVANCED NARRATIVE WRITING, INTERMEDIATE NARRATIVE WRITING 204, INTRODUCTORY NARRATIVE WRITING 104
Fiction, poetry, plays. American Indian Literature. Native Theater. Native Film Studies. Screenwriting.
- Choctalking On Other Realities. San Francisco: Aunt Lute Books, 2013.
- Howe, LeAnne , Harvey Markowitz, and Denise K. Cummings. Seeing Red: Hollywood's Pixeled Skins: American Indians and Film. East Lancing: Michigan State University Press , 2013.
- Miko Kings: An Indian Baseball Story. San Francisco: Aunt Lute Books, 2007.
- Evidence of Red. London: Salt Publishing, 2005.
- Équinoxes Rouges. Paris: Roucher, Collection Nuage Rouge, Paris France. , 2004.
- Shell Shaker. San Francisco: Aunt Lute Books, 2001.
- Howe, LeAnne. "The Story of Movement: Natives and Performance Culture." The Oxford Handbook of Indigenous American Literature. Ed. James Cox and Daniel H. Justice. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014. 16.
- Howe, LeAnne , and Jim Wilson. "Life in a 21st Century Mound City." The World of the Indigenous Americas. New York: Routledge, 2014. 24.
- "In the Place of a Fore/Word: Still Code Talking." Foreword. Foundations of First Peoples Sovereignty: History, Culture, and Education. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2008.
- "Ohoyo Chishba Osh: Woman Who Stretches Way Back." Pre-removal Choctaw History: Exploring New Paths. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2008. 20.
- "Blind Bread and the Business of Theorymaking By Embarrassed Grief as Told by LeAnne Howe.." Reasoning Together: The Native Critics Collective. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2008. 24.
- "Due Diligence: Or How I Lost Ten Pounds." The Kenyon Review. Kenyon: Kenyon College, 2010. 99-108.
- "And Here To Comes An Echo of Our People At Play in Anompa Sipokni, Old Talking Places.." Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society 100.3 (2007): 207-214.
Works in Progress
- Indians in Contempt: A tribalography of players, games and teams. The volume takes the reader to roots of American baseball, an indigenous game created by American Indians, to the contemporary American Indians leagues still at play in the fields of their ancestors. Co-authored with Lara Mann.
- Seeing Red: American Indians in the Cinema. The volume is a compilation of movie reviews and essays written by tribal and non-Indian historians, anthropologists, and authors on movies whose plots involve Indians in significant ways. Edited by LeAnne Howe and Harvey Markowitz, Denise Cummings. Book manuscript at press. Expected 2010.