Lori Humphrey Newcomb
Associate Professor of English
Ph.D. (English), Duke University; B.A. (British Studies), Yale University
Early modern prose fiction and drama; popular print culture; theories of representation, performance, and difference
Drama, Fiction, Film/Visual Culture, Gender/Sexuality Studies, Seventeenth Century, Sixteenth Century, Performance Studies, Theory & Criticism, Women's Literature
- Email for an appointment
- Email for an appointment.
- Reading Popular Romance in Early Modern England. NY: Columbia University Press, 2002.
- "’The Law Against Lovers’: Dramatizing Civil Union in Restoration England." Gender Matters: Discourses of Violence in Early Modern Literature and the Arts. Ed. Mara R. Wade. Amsterdam and New York: Rodopi, 2014. 173-94.
- ""Chapbooks"." Oxford History of Popular Print Culture, vol. 1. Cheap Print in Britain and Ireland to 1660. Oxford: Oxford, 2011. 471-90.
- "Romance." Oxford History of Popular Print Culture, vol. 1. Cheap Print in Britain and Ireland to 1660. Ed. Joad Raymond. Oxford: Oxford, 2011. 363-76.
- "The Sources of Romance, the Generation of Story, and the Patterns of the Pericles Tales." Staging Early Modern Romance: Prose Fiction, Dramatic Romance, and Shakespeare. NY and London: Routledge, 2009. 21-46.
- "Prose Fiction." The Cambridge Companion to Early Modern Women's Writing. Ed. Laura L. Knoppers. Cambridge: Cambridge, 2009. 272-85.
- "What is a Chapbook?." Literature and Popular Culture in Early Modern England. Ed. Matthew Dimmock and Andrew Hadfield. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2009. 57-73.
- "A Looking Glass for Readers: Cheap Print and the Senses of Repentance." Writing Robert Greene. Ed. Kirk Melnikoff and Edward Gieskes. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2008. 133-56.
- "Gendering Prose Romance in Renaissance England." A Companion to Romance: From Classical to Contemporary. Ed. Corinne V. Saunders. Oxford: Blackwell , 2004. 121-39.
- "Unfolding the Shepherdess: A Revision of Pastoral." Prose Fiction and Early Modern Sexualities. Ed. Constance C. Relihan and Goran V. Stanivukovic. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003. 235-55.
- "Monumental Bodies, Spectacular Bodies in "The Winter's Tale"." Ovid and the Renaissance Body. Ed. Goran V. Stanivukovic. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2001. 239-59.
- "The Romance of Service: the Simple History of "Pandosto"'s Servant Readers." Framing Elizabethan Fictions. Ed. Constance C. Relihan. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press, 1996. 117-40.
- "Literary Restoration: Francis Kirkman and the Canons of Pre-War Drama and Romance." Analytic and Enumerative Bibliography 12.3-4 (2001): 229-40.
- "Social Things: The Production of Popular Culture in the Reception of Robert Greene's Pandosto." ELH 61.4 (1994): 753-81.
- Newcomb, Lori H. "Robert Greene." Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004. <http://www.oxforddnb.com.proxy2.library.uiuc.edu/view/article/11418?docPos=1>.