- Address: Associate Provost Fellow, 207 Swanlund Administration Building, MC-304, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 601 East John Street, Champaign, IL 61820
- Telephone: 217-333-4523
- Email: email@example.com
- By appointment (call Jane Baumgartner at the number above)
Ph.D., University of California, San Diego, 1989; B.A., University of California, San Diego (Revelle College), 1983
History of rhetoric and literacy in the U.S., qualitative study of literacy, research ethics
- Women and Literacy: Local and Global Inquiries for a New Century. Ed. Beth Daniell Mortensen and Peter Mortensen. New York: Routledge, 2007. 21 Nov. 2008.
- Eldred, Janet C., and Peter Mortensen. Imagining Rhetoric: Composing Women of the Early United States. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002. 21 Nov. 2008.
- Ethics and Representation in Qualitative Studies of Literacy. Ed. Gesa E. Kirsch and Peter Mortensen. Urbana, IL: NCTE, 1996. 21 Nov. 2008.
- Daniell, Beth, and Peter Mortensen. "Researching Women and Literacy: Usable Pasts, Possible Futures." Introduction. Women and Literacy: Local and Global Inquiries for a New Century. Ed. Beth Daniell and Peter Mortensen. New York: Routledge, 2007.
- Eldred, Janet C., and Peter Mortensen. "‘A Few Patchwork Opinions’: Piecing Together Narratives of U.S. Girls’ Early National Schooling." Girls and Literacy in the U.S.: Historical Perspectives to the Present. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2003. 23-77.
- "What Do We Want from Books? (Review Essay)." College Composition and Communication 60 (2008): 193-225.
- "Reading Material." Written Communication 18 (2001): 395-439.
- "Response to Jean Lutes (‘Lynching Coverage and the American Reporter-Novelist’)." American Literary History 19 (2007): 482-490.
Works in Progress
- Manufacturing Illiteracy in the United States, 1880-1930; for related publications in print, see my curriculum vitae at https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/pmortens/www/fullvita.PDF