Julia F Saville
Associate Professor of English
PhD Stanford University, 1993; MA University of Cape Town, 1984; BA (Hons) University of Natal, 1972.
My past graduate courses have included "Cosmopolitan Republican Poets: 1840-1885"; "Aesthetics and Aestheticism in Victorian Britain"; and "Words and Images: Visual and Verbal Arts in Victorian Britain." Undergraduate courses most currently focus on Victorian Poetry and Politics, especially the work of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Algernon Charles Swinburne, Alfred Tennyson, and Gerard Manley Hopkins.
Tues: 12:30 - 1:30pm; Thurs: 3:30 - 4:30pm. And other times by e-mail appointment: email@example.com
Nineteenth-century British Literature; Victorian Poetry, Poetics and Politics; Cosmopolitanism, Internationalism, and Transnationalism; Nineteenth-century Republicanism; Poetry and the Visual Arts; Gender and Women's Studies
Poetry, Romantic, Theory & Criticism, Victorian, Visual Culture, Women's Literature
- Victorian Soul-Talk: Poetry, Democracy, and the Body Politic. New York & London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
- A Queer Chivalry: the Homoerotic Asceticism of Gerard Manley Hopkins. Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia Press, 2000.
- "Swinburne's Swimmers: from Insular Peace to the Anglo-Boer War ." Algernon Charles Swinburne: Unofficial Laureate. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press, 2013. 33-51.
- "The Poetic Imaging of Michael Field." The Fin de Siècle Poem. Ed. Joseph Bristow. Athens: Ohio University Press, 2005. 178-206.
- "Marriage and Gender." A Companion to Victorian Poetry . Ed. Alison Chapman, Richard Cronin, and Antony Harrison. Malden, MA & Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 2002. 526-542.
- "The Romance of Boys Bathing: Poetic Precedents and Respondents to the Paintings of Henry Scott Tuke." Victorian Sexual Dissidence. Ed. Richard Dellamora. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999. 253-277.
- "Anthropocentrism and the Soul of Hopkins’s Ecopoetics." Victorian Poetry forthcoming (2018):
- "‘Soul Talk’: Networks of Political Poetry in a trans-Channel Literary Triangle ." Victorian Studies 55.2 (2012): 299-308.
- "Swinburne Contra Whitman: From Cosmopolitan Republican to Parochial Jingo?." ELH 78.2 (2011): 479-505.
- "Cosmopolitan Republican Swinburne, the Immersive Poet as Public Moralist." Victorian Poetry 47.Winter (2009): 691-713.
- "Nude Male Alfresco Swimmers: The Prehistory of a Nineteenth-Century Republican Trope." Word & Image, 25.1 (2009): 56-74.
- "Eccentricity as Englishness in David Copperfield." Studies in English Literature 42.4 (2002): 781-797.
- "'The Lady of Shalott': A Lacanian Romance." Word & Image, 8.1 (1992): 71-87.
- "Of Fleshly Garments: Ascesis and Desire in the Ethic of Psychoanalysis." American Imago 49.4 (1992): 60-75.
- "Gerard Manley Hopkins." Oxford Encyclopedia of British Literature. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.