Associate Professor of English and Writing Studies
PhD, University of Washington, 2005
the rhetoric of protest and dissent, visual composition, writing pedagogy
Rhet 233: Rhetoric of Contemporary Protest / INFO 303: Tactics in Protest Movements / English 380: Writing in a Digital World / English 300: Graphic Novels / English 481: Composition Theory and Practice / English 482: Writing Technologies / English 505: Intro to Writing Studies / English 582: Genre Theory / English 582: Discourse Analysis / English 584: Rhetoric and Social / Engagement / English 584: Writing for the Web, / See course websites at http://go.illinois.edu/metaspencer
born-digital scholarship, brain-based writing disorders, writing pedagogy, writing and shame
- Schaffner, Spencer. Binocular Vision: the Politics of Representation in Birdwatching Field Guides. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 2011.
- Schaffner, Spencer. "Mockumentaries Meet New Media." Too Bold for the Box Office: A Study in Mockumentary. Ed. Cynthia Miller. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2012.
- Schaffner, Spencer. "Ecosee: Image, Rhetoric, and Nature." Field Guides to Birds: Images and Image/Text Positioned As Reference. Comp. Sean Morey. Ed. Sid Dobrin. New York: SUNY UP, 2008. 95-111.
- Schaffner, Spencer. "Biocultural Diversity and the Problem of the Superabundant Individual." RCC Perspectives forthcoming (2013):
- Prior, Paul, and Spencer Schaffner. "Bird Identification as a Family of Activities: Motives, Mediating Artifacts, and Laminated Assemblages." Ethos: Journal for the Society of Psychological Anthropology 39.1 (2011): 51-70.
- McDowell, Jacqueline , and Spencer Schaffner. "Football, it’s a Man’s Game: An Exploration of Gendered Discourse in 'The Gender Bowl'." Discourse & Society 22.5 (2011): 1-19.
- Schaffner, Spencer. "Environmental Sporting: Birding at Superfund Sites, Landfills, and Sewage Ponds." Journal of Sport and Social Issues 33.3 (2009): 206-230.
- Urban Literacy Center Manifesto. 7 Jan. 2008. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy. 7 Jan. 2008. <http://www.technorhetoric.net/12.3/topoi/schaffner/>.