Associate Head, Professor of English
- Address: 263 English
- Telephone: 217-244-7726
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.A. Davidson College, M.A., Ph.D. Duke University
American poetry, popular cinema, critical theory
American poetry, film and visual culture, theories of spatiality and urban modernity, architecture
- Wallace Stevens and Literary Canons. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1992.
- Would Poetry Disappear? American Verse and the Crisis of Modernity. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 2004.
- How Did Poetry Survive? The Making of Modern American Verse. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2012.
- "Making Modernism: T. S. Eliot as Publisher." A Companion to T. S. Eliot. Ed. David Chinitz. Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. 399-410.
- "Out With the Crowd: Modern American Poets Speaking to Mass Culture." The Oxford Handbook of Modern and Contemporary American Poetry. Ed. Cary Nelson. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012. 248-67.
- "The New Poetry." A Companion to Modernist Poetry. Ed. Gail McDonald and David Chinitz. Chichester, UK : Wiley-Blackwell, 2014. 209-21.
- "The Emergence of 'The New Poetry'." The Cambridge Companion to Modern Poetry. Ed. Walter Kalaidjian. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014. 11-23.
- "The Twentieth Century Begins." The Cambridge History of American Poetry. Ed. Alfred Bendixen and Stephen Burt. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014. 497-518.
- "The Footprint of the Twentieth Century: American Skyscrapers and Modernist Poems." Modernism/Modernity 10 (2003): 97-125.
- "The Housetop Sea: Cityscape Verse and the Rise of Modern American Poetry." American Literature 76 (2004): 275-306.
- "Poetry’s Opening Door: Harriet Monroe and American Modernism." American Periodicals 15 (2005): 6-23.
- "Response to Charles Bernstein." American Literary History 20 (2008): 369-80.