Waïl S. Hassan
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
Department of French & Italian, Department of Spanish & Portuguese
Area Centers: African Studies, European Union Studies, Global Studies, Latin American and Caribbean Studies, South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Center for Translation Studies
Lemann Institute for Brazilian Studies
Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Arabic and Arab Diaspora literatures, Arabic intellectual history, comparative literature, transnational studies, postcolonial and translation theory
My current research focuses on the Arabic novel and on Arab literary and cultural relations with the Americas, particularly the United States and Brazil.
- Ph.D. Comparative Literature, UIUC (1998)
Distinctions / Awards
- University Scholar, 2016-2019
- President, American Comparative Literature Association, 2019-2020
- Fellow, American Council for Learned Societies, 2017
- The Oxford Handbook of Arab Novelistic Traditions. Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Lughz al-Qaf. Cairo: National Center for Translation, 2015.
- Approaches to Teaching the Works of Naguib Mahfouz. MLA Publications, 2012.
- Immigrant Narratives: Orientalism and Cultural Translation in Arab American and Arab British Literature. Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Thou Shalt Nor Speak My Language. Syracuse University Press, 2008.
- Tayeb Salih: Ideology and the Craft of Fiction. Syracuse University Press, 2003.