Associate Professor of English and Center for African Studies
- Address: 257 English
- Telephone: 217-244-8968
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
African-American Literature, Contemporary American Literature, Fiction
- Fire on the Beach: Recovering the Lost Story of Richard Etheridge and the Pea Island Lifesavers. . New York: Scribner, 2001.
- Away Running. . Victoria, BC: Orca Book Publishers, 2016.
- "Going Places." Callaloo. Vol. 34 No. 4: 2011.
- "The Road On." Callaloo. Vol. 32 No. 2: 2009.
- "Writing Race in America." The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2014.
- "The Profiling of Sgt. Crowley: The reason for Gates's arrest? His own hubris." The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2009.
- "Invisible Boys." American Book Review. 2013.
- "Why America Loves NASCAR: (Hint: Because it’s not black)." The Village Voice. 2005.
- Rescue Men: The Story of the Pea Island Lifesavers. Dir. David Wright, David Zoby, Allan Smith. DreamQuest Productions, 2010.