African-American Literature, Contemporary American Literature, Fiction
African American Studies
- MFA, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Distinctions / Awards
- Center for Advanced Study Associates Fellowship, University of Illinois, 2014-15
- Distinguished Visiting Writer, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, fall 2002
- Dobie-Paisano Fellowship, University of Texas and the Texas Institute of Letters, 2005-06
- J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship, Universidade de Sao Paolo, Brazil, Mar.-Jun. 2011
- MacDowell Colony, Blue Mountain Center, Yaddo Foundation, Vermont Studio Center and Virginia Center for the Creative Arts residencies, 2005-06
- North Carolina Humanities Council and Outer Banks Community Foundation grants for production of Rescue Men: The Story of the Pea Island Lifesavers, May 2009
- Away Running. Victoria, BC: Orca Book Publishers, 2016.
- Fire on the Beach: Recovering the Lost Story of Richard Etheridge and the Pea Island Lifesavers. New York: Scribner, 2001.
- "Going Places." Callaloo. Vol. 34 No. 4: 2011.
- "The Road On." Callaloo. Vol. 32 No. 2: 2009.
- "Writing Race in America." The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2014.
- "Invisible Boys." American Book Review. 2013.
- "Why America Loves NASCAR: (Hint: Because it’s not black)." The Village Voice. 2005.
- Rescue Men: The Story of the Pea Island Lifesavers. Dir. David Wright, David Zoby, Allan Smith. DreamQuest Productions, 2010.