Like us on Facebook at UIUCEnglishAdvising!
English Advising Office
English Building, Room 200
608 S. Wright Street
Urbana IL 61801
Advisors Anna Ivy and Kristine McCoskey are available to meet with students daily. To find out about upcoming events, learn about internship opportunities, or to access recent English advising news digests, you can also consult our News & Notes page.
- Scheduled appointments (30 mins): Mon - Fri 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Walk-in sessions (15 minutes): Mon - Fri 11:00 a.m. - noon and 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
To schedule an appointment, please call the advising office administrator Angela Smith at 333-4346. We do not schedule appointments via email.
The English Department staffs two full-time academic advisors to serve students who major in English, Teaching of English, and Creative Writing, and students who minor in English.
If you are a prospective student, we welcome the opportunity to talk to you about the strengths of our department and about the varied and interesting careers that a degree in English or Creative Writing may lead to. Please feel free to contact us by email if you have questions, or call our office to set up an appointment with an advisor.
We provide orientation and registration advising for students entering the University as freshmen or transfer students. After initial contact, academic advising is voluntary except for mandatory freshmen advising for spring term. We do encourage all majors to visit our office at least once every semester to be certain they are on track as they progress through the major. We especially urge graduating seniors to see us before they register for their final year and then again before the final semester.
We are also Study Abroad advisors for majors and all students taking English courses abroad for credit. Students see us to approve courses before and/or after studying abroad.
The advising office has a variety of information of interest to majors including:
- Information about the English Department Internship Program
- Curriculum lists and degree planning tools for for our majors/minors
- English honors program overview, rules, and thesis contracts (Engl 391)
- Independent study forms (Engl 290)
- Course description booklets for each term
- Upcoming events of interest to English department majors
- Student forms
- Information about campus resources, including student counseling resources
Several bulletin boards just outside and inside the office hold timely posters and notices of interest to majors.