News & Notes
Re:Search (The Undergraduate Literary Criticism Journal at the University of Illinois) is currently accepting applications for 2014-2015 Executive Board positions. The deadline for applications is noon on Friday, April 25. If you've been thinking about getting more involved, now would be a great time!
- Applicants will need to attach a copy of their resume as a PDF in addition to completing a few short answer questions on the application form
- There will be an interview portion (date TBD)
- All documents should be submitted to email@example.com by noon on Friday, April 25th
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring 2014 Announcements:
***Important Information for May and August Graduates***
If you plan to graduate in May 2014 but you have not yet filed your intent to graduate, you will need to contact your ARO immediately. See the LAS advising website to find the name of your ARO. Your DARS report should say at the top "student is on the spring degree list" . . . if it does not, then you have not successfully filed your intent to graduate.
If you are on the pending degree list you will automatically receive an invitation to the May convocation ceremonies. If you are planning to graduate in August but want to walk in May then you will need to contact the English advising office to let us know.
- Last Day to Register for English Department Convocation is Friday, April 25
- Last Day of Class is Wednesday, May 7.
- Reading Day (no classes or final exams) is Thursday, May 8.
- Final Exams are Friday, May 9 to Friday, May 16.
- Campuswide Commencement is Saturday, May 17 at 9:30 a.m.
- English Department Convocation is Saturday, May 17 at 4:30 p.m.
Following are the results of the Spring 2014 Undergraduate Creative Writing Awards. Please join us in congratulating all those who won awards or received honorable mention.
Fiction Award Winners: Maryam Ghafoor, Devin Borgman, Amanda Toledo, Dylan Knox.
Fiction Honorable Mention: Brett Benischek, Alyssa Davison, David Huettner, Dylan O’Hearn.
Poetry Award Winners: Jessica Sung, Natalie Declerck, Laney Ontiveros.Poetry Honorable Mention: Scott Blinkensderfer, Sophia Ege, Maryam Ghafoor, Muriel Kenfield-Kelleher, Angela Nostwick.
Congratulations to Katrina Halfaker (poetry) and John Milas (prose), this year's Junior Quinn Award winners! The Junior Quinn Awards recognize achievement and potential in Creative Writing, and provide scholarship money to be applied toward the expenses of a summer writing workshop.
Congratulations to the winners of the English Department Awards for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching for 2013-2014:
Shawn Gilmore (Lecturer)
Patrick McGrath (Graduate Teaching Assistant)
E. Jordan Sellers (Graduate Teaching Assistant)
Congratulations to the winners of these 2013-2014 LAS and campus teaching awards:
E. Jordan Sellers, LAS Humanities Council Teaching Excellence Award
Professor Dale Bauer, LAS Lynn Martin Award for Distuinguished Women Teachers and Campus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching