Incoming Transfer Students: Composition Requirement
- Rhetoric 100, 101, and 102
- Rhetoric 105
- Communication 111 and 112
- English as a Second Language 114 and 115
are all courses or course sequences that fulfill the Composition I graduation requirement at UIUC. This part of our Rhetoric program website will help you to understand what courses you may have taken at other colleges and universities that will fulfill this particular UIUC requirement.
Most students who transfer to UIUC from other colleges and universities will need to have completed a two-course sequence at their previous school in order to receive full credit for this requirement upon transferring to UIUC. Please read the options below to see whether (1) the course(s) you took previously will automatically transfer in; (2) whether you need to see your advisor for more help with transfer credit; (3) or whether you need to enroll in an additional Rhetoric course at UIUC in order to fulfill the Composition I requirement.
(1) take a course or courses at an Illinois state college or Illinois community college? First-year composition courses taken at Illinois state colleges or community colleges may receive full credit when transferred to UIUC if they have already been reviewed by our Rhetoric office and/or the UIUC Admissions Office. Click here to see a list of transfer course agreements between all of the Illinois state universities, community colleges, and UIUC.
(2) take a course or courses at a college or university outside of Illinois, or at a private institution within Illinois? Click here to view some commonly-taken composition, writing, or rhetoric courses from other colleges and universities from out of state that have transfer equivalencies here at UIUC.
If your course is not included in this list of common transfer courses, it may still have an existing equivalency at UIUC. To find out, go to Transferology (this is an external website).
If you do not find the course you have completed at another college or university on any of these lists, you should submit to your college advisor:
- A complete syllabus from the course that provides a full course description
- A brief description of the writing projects for the course
- The grade weights of these papers, and required page length or word counts of essays
- The course schedule
Please note that if you have taken two courses in a first-year composition course sequence, at least one of those courses must include instruction in research writing and assign a major research paper of 2500-3000 words in order for you to receive full credit for the requirement at UIUC.
(3) take one course elsewhere that transferred for partial credit toward the Composition I requirement, but still need one more course to fulfill the UIUC requirement? If only one of your previous composition courses transferred into UIUC for credit, you need to take Rhetoric 233: Advanced Composition. Rhetoric 233 normally fulfills the advanced composition general education requirement at UIUC, so it is typically taken by students who have already taken Rhetoric 105 here. For transfer students, however, Rhetoric 233 will also fulfill both Composition I and the Advanced Composition requirements at UIUC if the student has already transferred in one first-year course that carries equivalent credit at UIUC, as determined above.
If you have questions about the transfer process that this page did not answer, please contact Ms. Lauri Harden for more information and assistance.