English Department Undergraduate Scholarships
The Department of English offers numerous merit scholarships totaling more than $100,000 in an annual competition in the spring. These scholarships recognize and reward outstanding achievements by English, Creative Writing, or Teaching of English students.
In order to be eligible for these scholarships, an applicant must:
- be an English department major planning to be enrolled for at least one semester of the coming academic year
- at the time of application have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5/4.0 overall
- at the time of application have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75/4.0 in English courses at Illinois
- by the end of the spring semester in which you are applying, have completed at Illinois a minimum of four English, Creative Writing, or Rhetoric courses beyond Composition I
- remain in good standing with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences throughout the application process
Applications are due in electronic form Friday, March 15, 2019 by 5:00 to Nancy Rahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The award amounts vary widely; for more information, please contact our Director of Undergraduate Studies, Andrea Stevens.
Awards for English Department Majors (English, Creative Writing, or Teaching of English)
- Delmar G. Cooke Scholarship
- Charles S. Montooth Scholarship
- Carolyn Joyce Pape Award
- Emily J. Friedrich Memorial Scholarship
- Robert D. Novak Scholarship
- Miles W. O'Loughlin III Scholarship
- Raymond Seng Scholarship
- Paul J. Cooke English Award
- Tessa M. Oberg Scholarship
- Ethel F. Crate Scholarship
Awards for Teaching of English Major
- J. N. Hook Scholarship
- Alfred & Norma Tanner Snap Scholarship
- E. Veda Streitmatter & Arlys Streitmatter Conrad Scholarship
- Leo B. Kneer Scholarship
Other Awards & Prizes
Kevin T. Early Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded for freshman poetry writing and is open to students in all majors. Deadline for 2018 Scholarship TBD (usually mid-October).
Awards for Honors Students
- Smalley Prize for Outstanding Honors Achievement awarded to the best English Honors Essay
- Carol Kyle Prize for Outstanding Honors Achievement awarded to the runner-up in the annual competition for the best English Honors Essay
Wallace Stevens Memorial Prize
$500 will be awarded to the best critical essay on modern American or British poetry (1900-1939) submitted each year. The prize alternates yearly between undergraduates pursuing an English major or minor at Illinois, and graduate students in the English Department. The Spring 2019 award will be made at the graduate level. For more information, please contact Justine Murison.
Creative Writing Competitions
The competitions listed below for creative writing are held in the spring (upcoming deadline Monday, February 25, 2019). For more information, see Guidelines for Submission or contact the Associate Director of Creative Writing, Steve Davenport.
- John L. Rainey Prize
- Josephine M. Bresee Memorial Prize
- Leah Trelease Prize
- Folger Adam Jr. Prize
- American Academy of Poets Prize
- Charles and Susan Shattuck Prize