English Department Undergraduate Scholarships
The Department of English offers numerous merit scholarships totaling more than $100,000 in an annual competition in the spring. These scholarships recognize and reward outstanding achievements by English, Creative Writing, or Teaching of English students.
In order to be eligible for these scholarships, an applicant must:
- be an English major planning to be enrolled for at least one semester of the coming academic year
- at the time of application have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5/4.0 overall
- at the time of application have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75/4.0 in English courses
- by the end of the spring semester in which you are applying, have completed at Illinois a minimum of four English, Creative Writing, or Rhetoric courses beyond Composition I
- be in good standing with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences throughout the application process
Instructions and applications for departmental scholarships may be found here. Applications are due March 14, 2016 by 4:30 p.m. to Jennifer Price in room 208 English Building.
The award amounts vary widely; for more information, please contact our Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dale Bauer.
Awards for English Department Majors (English, Creative Writing, or Teaching of English)
- Delmar G. Cooke Scholarship
- Carolyn Joyce Pape Award
- Emily J. Friedrich Memorial Scholarship
- Robert D. Novak Scholarship
- Miles W. O'Loughlin III Scholarship
- Raymond Seng Scholarship
- Paul J. Cooke English Award
- Leo B. Kneer Scholarship
- Tessa M. Oberg Scholarship
- E. Veda Streitmatter & Arlys Streitmatter Conrad Scholarship
Awards for Teaching of English Majors
- Ethel F. Crate Scholarship
- J. N. Hook Scholarship
- Alfred & Norma Tanner Snap Scholarship
Other Awards & Prizes
Kevin T. Early Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded for freshman poetry writing and is open to students in all majors.
Awards for Honors Students
- Smalley Prize for Outstanding Honors Achievement awarded to the best English Honors Essay
- Carol Kyle Prize for Outstanding Honors Achievement awarded to the runner-up in the annual competition for the best English Honors Essay
Wallace Stevens Memorial Prize
$500 will be awarded to the best critical essay on modern American or British poetry (1900-1939) submitted each year. The prize alternates yearly between undergraduates pursuing an English major or minor at Illinois, and graduate students in the English Department. The Spring 2016 award will be made at the undergraduate level.
Creative Writing Competitions
The competitions listed below for creative writing are held in the spring. For more information, contact the Associate Director of Creative Writing, Steve Davenport. Submissions are due by noon on Monday, February 29, 2016. Instructions for submitting your work may be found here.
- John L. Rainey Prize
- Charles and Susan Shattuck Prize
- Josephine M. Bresee Memorial Prize
- Leah Trelease Prize
- Folger Adam Jr. Prize
- American Academy of Poets Prize
- Thatcher Howland Guild Prize