Procedures for Independent Study

In order to register for an independent study course (e.g., ENGL 591), you must find an instructor willing to direct it and the two of you must agree on:

  1. a course description/rationale and
  2. a reading list.

Students should contact the Graduate Studies Office for the instructor’s CRN number in order to register. Applications are available there and these must be completed, signed by the instructor, and approved by the Director of Graduate Studies before or in the first two weeks of the semester in which the independent study will be undertaken.

  • An independent study cannot be used to satisfy area-distribution requirements for the MA.
  • An independent study should not be undertaken in areas in which there are already course offerings.

Independent study is probably best used at the end of Stage II as students move toward the more specialized study of the Special Field exam and dissertation.


Get in Touch

Cookie Settings