Off-Campus Transfer Students

Students transferring from another institution generally have less time to complete major requirements than students entering the majors as freshmen. Most have only four semesters to complete any Composition I, general education, or language courses they may need, plus all or most major courses and whatever courses they want or need beyond the major. For a better experience in the major and more flexibility, potential transfer students are advised to have the following transferable course requirements met BEFORE they enter the U of I:

  • Composition I
  • Non-primary language
  • All general education courses (except non-western or U.S. minority cultures)
  • Western Civilization sequence (see curriculum list for choices)
  • Introductory course and/or surveys of English literature
  • Introductory creative writing courses if major is Creative Writing


Composition I requirement
Students who completed a 3-credit-hour composition course at their previous college might be entitled to take RHET 233 (Principles of Composition) to simultaneously complete the 4-hour Composition I requirement and satisfy the Advanced Composition (ACP) requirement. Please contact the English Advising office if you have questions about your options.

Non-primary language requirement
Students who have not either completed 4 years of one language in high school or up through the fourth level in college or completed the third level in two different languages will need to satisfy this requirement. A placement exam may be necessary to find out where to begin. See the Placement & Proficiency webpage for Languages Other Than English (LOTE).

Get in Touch

Cookie Settings